Monday, August 8, 2011

My First Job.......

I've had many jobs in my life.  I went to art school.... Massachusetts College of Art.  Everyday I would walk to the train station to travel into Boston and my dad would walk to the bank he managed in town and some days we would walk together.  On those days we would both be a little embarrassed to be seen with the other.  My dad was a snappy dresser and I can appreciate that now but back then I thought he was dressed like a geek.  I on the other hand was going to art school so I had to dress as crazy as possible and it was the early 80.... no tight jeans, high heels and big hair for me .... no it was more like men pj's and men's military uniforms and pink converse high tops.  Anyway ... I would carry my portfolio and wood carving .... big heavy works of art and my dad would say.... I don't know why your wasting my money your going to end up in a bank just like your old man.  Five years later after my first divorce....I was wearing expensive business suits, carrying a brief case, visiting clients and explaining report for the Bank of New England.  That was not my first job .... my first job was scooping ice cream at a Brigham's getting my ass pinched and dating one of the supervisors (that was a tough job.)  I worked for a Chiropractor and now I am a Church Secretary.  Not exactly what you would call a career.  Whenever anyone asks "what do you do?" I always say I am an artist, but that's not how I make a living.    

I have been hired by Liz Hart who is the Founder and Executive Director of Tailored For Success, Inc. http://tailoredforsuccess.org/  to cater a Fashion Show on September 18.  This feels like my first job, in a way it is.  This is the first time I will be representing me.  Putting out a product made by me and making money on something I am creating.  I have been offered money for paintings before but that felt like selling a child.  This is good for me on so many levels.  At this point in my life it is so important to have confidence in myself and having someone tell me they are confident in me means so much.  

Last night Liz and her husband David came to my house to taste several options and to hammer out our menu for the fashion show.  My sister Lisa is good friends with Liz and the four of us laughed and tasted for a few hours.  It was a great night.  

prosciutto, tomato, artichoke heart, mozzarella and a basil leaf with a balsamic drizzle 
 Grilled asparagus with prosciutto
 Beet Hummas 
 Olives wrapped in cheddar cheese pastry
 wonton wrappers with sausage and cheese filling
 Ebilskivers with ham and cheese
Pate a Choux with parmesan cheese and chives
vegetable spring rolls with hoison sauce
Liz and Lisa toasting the tasting!
 David and I prefer to stay out of the limelight!

3 comments:

  1. Sharon,

    What's for dinner this Saturday???

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was all so good, it makes me hungry just looking at it. Good thing we still have some leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David you were a charming guest and would love to cook for you anytime! Liz thanks so much for all the kind things you have said!

    ReplyDelete