Friday, August 13, 2010

I'm still tired!


The party was two weeks ago and I'm still tired...everyone seemed to have a good time. The homemade ice cream was a big hit. I made vanilla (Joe's favorite), chocolate chocolate chip, and blueberry cheesecake. A lot of people didn't make it this year so the leftovers were plentiful.

Yesterday was Thursday, my favorite day of the week. I'm not sure why...maybe because I don't work on Fridays, also I was born on a Thursday maybe that has something to do with it.... anyhoo on Thursdays there is a small farmers market in the next town. I love to take $20 bucks and just poke about, today I got carrots, green beans, small potatoes, sweet white corn, small onions and a giant crusty round loaf of bread. I planned on roasting a whole chicken so I got stuff to cook with that.




This loverly yellow squash was grown by me!



My favorite way to roast a chicken these days is to clean the bird well and then stuff a handful of fresh herbs inside. I used parsley, rosemary, oregano, marjoram, and basil. Then I cut up 3 or 4 lemons in quarters and shove those in (stick a couple in the neck) with a couple of whole garlic cloves that I smash with the side of a big knife and the palm of my hand. I use a large sprig of rosemary minced fine with olive oil, salt and pepper and some lemon zest to toss the potatoes in and smear all over the bird. I threw a couple of cut up onion as well. Roast in a 375 to 400 oven about an 1 and 1/2 hours. (You should see no pink ....very important and juices run clear)




The lemon and herbs really add great flavor to the chicken and potatoes!




No comments:

Post a Comment