Tuesday, November 9, 2010

For Erika!

Erika has asked for my Corn Chowder with Maple Bacon recipe and here it is.  It's very simple really and as I have said before I'm not one to measure so I'll do my best to give accurate amounts.

First I cook 1/2 pound of maple bacon to crisp.  While the bacon is cooking I cut up a medium onion very fine and a few stalks of celery the same size.  Peel 3 potatoes (4 if they are small) and cut into small cubes.  After the bacon is cooked set it aside to cool.  There shouldn't be too much bacon fat left in the pan if there is remove all but about 4 tablespoons and add the vegetables to the pan.  Let them keep cooking over medium heat until the potatoes are soft and have browned a little.  Then add 4 cups of chicken stock and the corn.  I use Trader Joe's frozen white corn, it's sweet and works well with the sweet bacon. (For this batch I used 2 and 1/2 bags, which was what I had left in the freezer.)  Bring it to a low boil and reduce the heat and add 2 cups of half and half.  (I use fat free half and half and I find it works just fine.) Season with salt and pepper to taste.  If more liquid is needed add more chicken stock and cream.  Crumble the cooled bacon and add it to the chowder.


Here is another recipe that is so simple yet so amazing.....Joe went nuts for these potatoes!  I used about 15 potatoes that were all about the same size.  Wash them good and leave the skins on the slice them evenly in several slices but not all the way through.  Leave them attached at the bottom with about 1/2 an inch.  Melt a stick of butter and add a cup of sherry.  Pour it evenly over the potatoes and bake at 400.  After about 45 minutes take them out and baste them with the liquids from the bottom of the pan and return to the oven.  Wait another 30 minutes and take them out again and the liquids will probably be gone.  Take a wooden spoon and press on each potato and it should fan out.  Melt another 1/2 stick of butter and add 1/2 cup more sherry and pour it over.  Return them to the oven a final time and cook until nice and brown.  So Good!


1 comment: