Monday, November 15, 2010

Gumbo!

I love good gumbo, not too spicy but really flavorful.  The following is my own take on this classic dish. First I melt 1and a half sticks of butter (must be butter no fake stuff).  Then add about 3/4 of a cup of flour and cook over med to low heat.  Stir, stir, stir and very slowly the flour and butter will get brown....this may take 1/2 and hour.  The photo below not brown enough yet.


While waiting for the prefect brown... heat another pot and add a drizzle of olive oil.  Add 5 ribs of celery, 2 green peppers and 1 large onion all chopped into small pieces and cook  Once the vegetables cook down add 1 chirizo link cut into slices and than each slice into four pieces and a kilbasa sliced and cut each slice in half.  Also add ham (I get a couple of good thick slices from the deli, ask the butcher to slice it about 1/4 of and inch thick.) cut it into cubes.  I find that cutting the different meats into different shapes is good  for people to be able to identify each meat.  I personally don't like the chirizo, I find it too spicy. 


When the color is a nice rich brown I add 5 cups of chicken broth slowly, and 3/4 of a bottle of guinness stirring constantly (with the remaining guinness make a "black and tan" and drink.)  What you end up with is a nice thick gravy.  To this add the cooked vegetables and meat.  Next I add seasonings.  I know this is cheating but I used a good amount of Emeril's original essence a couple of heavy shakes, and Konriko brand Chipotle all purpose seasoning, and McCormick brand Cajun seasoning.  These three seasoning add the perfect flavor.  Shake and taste to get the correct amount to seasoning for yourself.  Then add 4 or 5 chicken breasts cut into bit size pieces.  Cook on medium low until the chicken is cooked and then turn the heat to low and simmer.  About 15 minutes before your ready to eat add 1 to 2 pounds of raw shelled and cleaned large or jumbo shrimp.  (The shrimp cooks very quickly and will get tougher the longer you cook it so don't do it till the end.)  


I like to serve this in a shallow bowl with a ice cream scoop of white rice in the center and pour the gumbo all around the rice.  I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of this but once plated the last thing on my mind was taking a picture.....so good!  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment