Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Christmas is Coming!


Every Christmas Eve we have open house and lots of people stop in.  I've started getting ready earlier this year so hopefully I'm not so stressed last minute.  I started baking a few days ago (well the stuff that can be frozen).  The first is my mothers recipe for French Torte.  

First you take 16 Ritz crackers and smash them to death!

I doubled the recipe (sooo 32)



Chop 2/3 of a cup of walnuts or pecans and add to crackers.
(1 1/3)



 3 egg whites (6) beat with a scant cup of sugar ( 2) and 1 (2) teaspoon (s) of vanilla
 and 1/2 (1) tsp baking powder.  Until stiff peaks form. 

Then fold the nuts and crackers with the egg WHITE mixture.


At this point my mom would put it into a pie plate and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.



I put it into tart pans and bakes for about 15 minutes.  (Oven temps vary so watch carefully) 


They should be a light golden color on top 



Top each with whipped cream and shaved chocolate! Yum.... 



The next is a cookie from Dorie Greenspan "Baking" cookbook  "Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops."  They are so good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment