Saturday, January 14, 2012

Time with the Kids ...

God didn't give me children of my own ... what he did do is place really special kids in my life that I could be a mother to.  Yesterday I got to spend time with one of them and today another one.  Carl and Erika are two in the handful of kids that I consider part mine.  I refer to these two as my pretend children.  Their mom moved far away when they were very young and I was lucky enough to help take care of them.  

Carl went to my cleaning job with me yesterday and helped me.  The kid cut my work in half and all I had to do was buy him lunch ... and he still tried to give me money.  I love spending time with him ... he laughs at everything I say ... even if it's not funny.  Years ago Carl had to have his appendix out and I rushed up to the hospital to see him.  When I got to his room both of his real parents where there ... the kid took one look at me and said ..."Sha ... please ... I'm begging you" and then he started laughing ... and it was obvious that he was in more pain when he laughed ... "what I didn't say anything" I said ... which made him laugh again .... I actually had to leave the room.  Now that he is an adult (19) apparently most of the things I say are inappropriate.  I didn't have my camera with me so I don't have a picture of him ... but I'm sure that's fine with him ... he got his hair cut and he's not happy with it.

Today I picked up Erika and we went to a couple of stores and then back to my house to make souffles.  First we made a large cheese souffles and then individual chocolate souffles.  I always have such a good time with her.  We enjoy cooking together, going out to eat,  and food blogging.  These days she is helping to coach me in my new life as a 48 year old 22 year old.  She is brilliant and juggles grad school... work and trying to find the time to cook ... her blog http://findingthethyme.blogspot.com lets her vent about all of her interests.

So I didn't give birth to these two bright spots in my life ... but they are a huge part of it ... and I hope I give them a fraction of the joy that they give me ...







No comments:

Post a Comment