Saturday, September 4, 2010

Meet Carl Johnson




This is Carl Johnson. Carl is the closest thing I have to a child of my own. I have nieces and nephews that I love and feel very close to, but they have their own parents. Carl does too, but it's different. Carl's parents got divorced when he was two years old. His mom moved away and his dad (my boss at the time) had custody of Carl and his sister Erika who was six. My job changed after their mom moved and I spent a lot of time out of the office doing things like picking the kids up from school, taking them to after school activities, fixing them dinner, and taking them to doctor appointments.

Emotionally it has always been very difficult for me. I grew very attached to them but had to hold myself and my emotions from becoming too attached. They had their own parents and I was not one of them. Its a fine line I have struggled with for many years.

It got easier when they got older and had to come to the office and do their homework and I got a new job. Then I would take them out on Friday afternoon to do fun stuff. Erika was always beautiful and had lots of friends and interests. Carl was more shy and was sometimes bullied.

Erika graduated from college this past spring and is continuing on towards degree in psychiatry.

Carl is leaving for his first year of college tomorrow and I have very mixed emotions. I am so proud of him and of how hard he work in high school (3rd in his class) and what an unbelievable kid he turned out to be. Funny, smart, sweet, caring.... I could go on and on. And I know that no matter what he does he will be brilliant... and I know I will alway be part of his life and he mine... but there is this little me inside of me that wishes so much that he was four years old again and I was picking him up from preschool and he would tell me again...."I told Sister Judith that poem that you taught me...trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat, if you don't, I don't care, I'll pull down your underwear...... Sister Judith didn't think that was funny .... neither did Grammy"

Carl my friend enjoy the next four years...they will be among the best! and always, always, keep in mind ..... giblets! (I Love You)

No comments:

Post a Comment