Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sausage Soup

Soup is one of my favorite things to make and I'm told I'm good at it.  This coming Sunday is the 207th Annual Business Meeting at my church and I will be making a soup lunch for those who will attend (maybe 50).  I am going to make 3 types, loaded baked potato, Italian wedding, and cream of tomato basil.  Last week I made a nice sausage soup with wild rice and tomatoes.  I started by chopping an onion small and crushing a garlic clove and cooking it a few minutes in a splash of olive oil.  Then I added one of those horribly bad for you (but tasty) sausages like Jimmy Dean and smashed it into little bits and cooked it with the onion and garlic.  


I added some chicken stock and canned cherry tomatoes and seasoned it with salt, pepper, and some fennel seeds crushed.  

Once it came back to a boil I added some wild rice and let it cook for an hour until the rice was well cooked. Ten minutes before eating add a some orzo just to add another texture and some bulk.  I added a little dried spice and some cayenne pepper which adds a nice kick.


 It's not very pretty but very tasty.







No comments:

Post a Comment