Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What to do when the world is white!

This was what I saw at 6 a.m.  I was not happy.....I don't usually get up at 6 a.m. (I sleep as long as I can, and then hit the snooze button a few times.) However this morning I heard Joe getting ready and knowing that we didn't have to go to work and it was suppose to snow all day I asked what he was doing.  He announced he was going out to knock the snow off the electric wires because it was so heavy with the snow that the wires where hanging low.  (Enter the first panic attack of the day - seriously I get very bad anxiety attacks and the thought of losing power with so much snow and low temps is a scary thing.)  Of course now I couldn't sleep...took a few shots of the O so pretty snow and then made some cream of wheat for the old guy and myself.  I tried to fall back to sleep around 9:00 but after a couple of crazy dreams I was up for the day.  Joe spent the day out snow blowing the neighborhood then he went to snow blow for my mom and sister.  I spent the day alone trapped in the house surrounded by white.


So I baked bread ... a nice olive oil bread with whole wheat and white flour.

 I love the pellet stove because of the great job it does heating the whole house,
but also for being the perfect place to let my dough rise.

Joe always make sure the birds have plenty of food.

 White
White 
While the dough was rising (3 different times) I made a large pot of Italian wedding soup.  I started by chopping 3 large ribs of celery, 1 medium onion and cook that down with a little olive oil.

Then I make tiny meatballs.  Usually I use ground turkey its healthier and for this soup I prefer the flavor.


Joe and I agree the turkey meatballs are much better in this soup....beef was all I had in the freezer and I couldn't get to the store because of 
THE WHITE!

I add chicken stock to the veggies and some dried herbs, then add the balls.  A large bag of frozen spinach is added and tiny pearl pasta.


While the soup is cooking I shaped the dough after the last rise and baked it.


The bread was great .... the soup is better with the turkey meatballs.


Dam the snow!



No comments:

Post a Comment