Sunday, February 13, 2011

Soda Bread Recipe

I have been making this soda bread over and over again since I found it on 101 Cookbooks.  Each time I change something.  I'm trying to get away from using white flour because it's bad for me and I'm trying to be healthy. (Healthy sucks sometimes) So here is the recipe I ended up with.  Again the best part of this type of bread is no rising time.

Oat, Wheat, Almond Soda Bread (makes two loaves)

4 cups of oat bran
4 cups of whole wheat flour
2 cups of almond meal
3 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
3 1/2 cups of buttermilk (or milk white 1 tbs of organic apple cider vinegar per cup)

Butter two loaf pans and set aside.   Preheat the oven to 400.  Mix flours, baking powder and salt.  Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk and mix all.  It may be sticky.  Dump it out onto a well floured surface and knead until not sticky.  (If it's to stiff add a little more milk) form into loaf shape and place in the pans.  Brush a little milk on the top of each loaf and add some seed.  I use poppy, sesame and flax.  

Bake for 50 minutes, turn the oven off and let them sit in the hot oven for another 5 to 10 minutes.  
 




Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment