Monday, February 28, 2011

Kumquat Jam




I don't think I will come down with scurvy this winter ... I can't seem to get enough oranges and their cousins. You name it, and I've eaten it, tangerine, clementine, blood orange, and mandarin oranges.  The kumquat however was unexpected.  I remember being given one as a child and told it was good.  No it wasn't, it was to my young palate very bitter and unpleasant.  I brought home this one pound box and read the package.  It's the skin that is the part you eat the inside is mostly seeds and pith.  So I sliced off the skin and ate it.  Then I went and bought two more boxes.    












I spent 3 hours cleaning and and removing the stems and seeds and most of the pith.  I did some research on different recipes and of course changes up what I found.  In the end it took 3 days to make this jam.  One recipe said to bring the kumquats and the sugar etc., to a boil, remove from the heat and let rest at room temperature for 18 hours at least.  So I did that .... continued on the next day with the rest of the instructions and dam jam would not jell.  With no pectin in the pantry had to stop the process again and wait until today.  




I believe my efforts have not been wasted...yum!  Anyone want to try kumquat jam I've got a few extra jars.

Kumquat Jam

3 lb kumquats 
4 cups of white sugar
8 cups of light brown sugar (not packed)
9 cups of water
one vanilla bean
1/4 cup of lemon juice
3 boxes of Ball brand pectin

Wash and slice all the kumquats and remove the seeds and as much pith as possible.  I left some of the pith for some substance.  Put them in a large pot with the water and sugar.  (Do not pack the brown sugar.)  Add the lemon juice and bring to a boil.  Reduce and simmer 1 hour.  Remove from the heat and let rest at room temperature for at least 18 hour.  Next day return to a boil and make sure the boil reaches 220 degrees.  Scrape the inside of the vanilla bean and add the seeds to the pot.  Be sure to stir often with jam it can burn easily.  At this point the recipe I used as a guide said it should jell when dropped onto a cold plate.  (Nope not gonna do it.)  So I turned it off and let it rest a few more hours until I could get some pectin.  Brought it back to a boil again tonight and added the pectin and it finally jelled on the cold plate. Yahoo. Jam.  

2 comments: