Monday, October 17, 2011

Fear of Heights.....

OK...... I know I have spent a great deal of time recently patting myself on the back because I'm not afraid of anything anymore ....but the truth is I am still afraid of heights.  I think that any sane person is.  You can DIE if you fall even if the distance is not that great.  

I had a meeting tonight with my fellow Property Trustees at my church.  The group consists of the pastor (a woman) my sister Lisa, myself and the boys.  The 5 men are a great group of guys who just love to give me a hard time... especially about this sign that I finished (after 2 years) and is still not hanging outside.....


Tonight after the meeting Rene had a moisture detector and was going to check the level of moisture in the ceiling of the sanctuary.  He and Steve went up inside the organ chamber and climbed up.  Rick stayed below in the choir loft .... I was in the choir loft, but I don't like being even that high, so when Rick reminded me that I had my camera, I had my excuse to get back down to the ground level.

see Steve.... 
 see Steve crawl...

 see Rene pass Steve the pole with the moisture detector taped to it.....
 see Rene stand up and Sharon throw up....


 These picture don't do the height justice......
 but these do.....



 Rick .... making sure they do it right (because he is the Chairman of the Property Trustees)


 Rene wanted a turn......watching them was truly making me sick....







 This is the reason for the risk of life and limb....another spot of peeling paint....

So yes, there is moisture up there but it's not as bad as the wall on the stairway up to the choir loft or other spots that were tested tonight.  It is a constant battle to keep up with the leaks and other problems in this beautiful old building, but that's the job of the Property Trustees.  Unfortunately we have learned the hard lesson that for everything we repair, or pay big bucks to have repaired, something else fails or springs a leak.   But as the old saying goes God helps those that help themselves .... so we keep fighting the good fight and patching the old slate roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment