Saturday, October 1, 2011

I love my job(s)

My primary job, the one that the majority of my very small salary comes from is being a church secretary.  I'm not particularly good at it to be honest.  The boss has to proof everything because I am partial to making typos and rarely to I do spell check cause I love listening to her laugh as she hoots out my latest faux pas.  I'm also not very kind .... I was before I took this job 14 years ago.  It's made me hard in ways but I am also not naive anymore because of it as well.  Desperate people do desperate things.  People will come to the church when they need help....some really need help and others lie.....who's who is the tricky part.  One woman came once and she needed money for food... the local food pantry wasn't open for the day yet and she had a crying 4 year old with her.... I gave her money.  One gentleman came once (he smelled a little like a bar room) and said "I don't have any money, and I got asthma real bad, and I gotta pick up my prescription"  I pointed to the brand new pack of smokes in his pocket and told him he should have spent the money on the meds instead.  Now does that sound like a kind person to you?  Even though I'm not good at it in a lot of ways in other ways I am very good.  I like to figure things out and solve problems.  I like playing bad cop and I'm good at it.  I literally yelled at a cop once at work ( I know the guy he was an usher in my first wedding but still ... I yelled at him) he let some dude off without a ticket the guys car was parked across the driveway to our property.  I said "I've got like a hundred 4 year old in daycare in these building and if an ambulance or fire truck needed to get in to save one of those kids and couldn't cause this guy parked across my driveway and you let him go without a ticket.... all he could say was calm down Sharon, calm down.  Back in March when my life twisted and turned one of my big worries was money.  I had to get additional income and I didn't know how or where that was going to come from. I desperately wanted to keep my job, despite feeling like I'm not very good at it I love it, but it is only part time. Just about that time the church was not happy with the cleaning service and decided to let that service go and hire me.  It's not a lot more money but enough that I can cover my bills .... I'll never be rich, but I'll be happy and that is so much more important than being rich.  A bonus is also included with this cleaning job .... one hell of a workout .... I'm getting muscles in places I haven't had since I was a kid.   

I have to vacuum the sanctuary once a week you'll notice the platform where 
the Pastor preaches from is also carpeted and get vacuumed.
Three of the aisle are carpeted and the rear of the room as well.





This floor has to be swept and mopped once a week, 
There is also a kitchen that I mop and clean. 


This is the ladies parlor that has to be vacuumed and dusted every week, I also clean the nursery 
and 7 bathroom.

I got it down to a science and if I stay after work a couple of nights a week I can keep my Friday free.
Most weeks I just do it all on Friday at some point during the day.
It's not bad actually, I put the plugs in my ears and turn the ipod on and work and sweat and think.

Sometimes though when I belting out Adele, Brandi Carlile or Sarah Mclaughlin, to my horror someone is watching me....usually a member of the church who is in the building for some reason ....
and they all lie and tell me I'm not tone deaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment